If the traditional treadmill doesn’t meet your demand in working-out different muscle-groups without impact on your joints, a cross-training treadmill will be a great replacement in this case. So what are the differences between cross-training treadmills and traditional-treadmills? What are the benefits users can get from it? And what is the best list of cross-training treadmills? This post will focus on solving these questions.
- 1 5 Best cross-training treadmills 2018
- 1.1 1. NordicTrack Incline Trainer X11i
- 1.2 2. Official Boston Marathon Treadmill 4.0
- 1.3 3. NordicTrack Incline Trainer X9i
- 1.4 4. NordicTrack C 990 Treadmill
- 1.5 5. Horizon Fitness Elite T9 Treadmill
- 1.6 Main features of a cross-training treadmill
- 1.7 Benefits of having a cross-training treadmill
- 1.8 Disadvantages of using a cross-training treadmill
- 1.9 Conclusion
How to Cross-Train with a Treadmill
In fact, cross-training can be achieved in different ways but essentially it involves combining aerobic exercise with strength training in order to help you meet your fitness goals easily. The treadmills with a wide range of settings from zero degrees to very steep are especially easy for trainee to combine cardio exercise with strength training. Users can choose different settings to have different amounts of resistance. In addition to serve as a treadmill, this machine can be used for replicating the motions of elliptical-training and stair-climbing.
You should know that changing the incline of a cross-trainer's treadles or track changes the muscles which are targeted. For example, choose lower settings, you can focus more on the quads and calves. When increasing incline, the quads and hamstrings are targeted. And at the steepest setting, the glutes will especially do a big work. Alternating from a high incline to shallower incline (or from high intensity and low intensity exercise) gives your body a chance to rest but your metabolic rate still elevates.
5 Best cross-training treadmills 2018
1. NordicTrack Incline Trainer X11i
At a high price point, there is no complaint about NordicTrack Incline Trainer X11i. The X11i track can be inclined up to 40% and declined up to 6% that can burn up to five times more than the calories burned on ordinary treadmill. By shifting the position of your body during exercise, the trainer helps relieve stress and strain on your knees. Additionally, the track of this machine is equipped with Reflex Cushioning that also contributes in enhanced the comfort when running on it.
NordicTrack Incline Trainer X11i comes with a 4.25 CHP motor and a top speed up to 12 mph that supports the track to run quietly and smoothly through changes in speed and incline. In the terms of quality, this motor has commercial quality and a lifetime warranty. Its 44 built-in workout apps include a half of them are standard incline trainer programs which focus on calorie burning, intensity and speed and another half are iFit workouts. Besides, this great cross-training treadmill is featured with a touchscreen with internet, tablet holder, iPod port and Heart Rate Monitors etc.
2. Official Boston Marathon Treadmill 4.0
The ProForm Commercial Pro motor of this model has high-end brushes and bearings, a heat cut-off mechanism and high-grade wiring and insulation ratings. With Official Boston Marathon Treadmill 4.0, you have change to enjoy excellent treadmill cushioning with two cushioning options that reduce the impact on your joints or is for road-like simulation to prepare for race day. Especially, this trainer has a 20% incline and a 6% decline which can be automatically adjusted according to your rout and is every useful for your cross training.
While most home treadmills only support 10 or 12 mph, Official Boston Marathon Treadmill 4.0 has an amazed top speed of 15 mph. this unit also provides user with the long and extra-long running surface measures 20″ x 62″. It’s extra-wide for those with that longer stride and long enough for tall runners. The track is designed to move along 2.5″ rollers for more durable than many other home treadmill tracks. In the terms of quality, its quality is unbeatable. Additionally, it has a maximum capacity of 400 pounds.
3. NordicTrack Incline Trainer X9i
At a cheaper price than the X11i, NordicTrack Incline Trainer X9i is also one of the best cross-training treadmills on the market. With this model, you can use the flat track or incline it up to 40% and decline it up to 6% that is great way to help you burn more calories as well as and tone different muscle. The new version in 2016 of the X9i has extra-quiet performance and more modern tech to enhance user’s treadmill workouts.
The 3.0 continuous horsepower motor responding very quickly but quietly to changes in speed and incline has a commercial quality with a lifetime. In addition to shifting your body weight to make easy on your joints, the NordicTrack X9i features Reflex™ cushioning to help you have a firm push-off point and a softer landing point.
Especially this trainer also features a WhisperQuiet deck technology to absorb sound from each step you take and make it become an especially good choice for cross training. 44 programs built into the console are designed to focus on incline training, calorie burn, speed or intensity. Besides, there are also many other great features and a great warranty package to make this product more perfect.
4. NordicTrack C 990 Treadmill
Although this model has lower incline range than above models, its incline-range of up to 15-percent also helps burn-up more calories while toning different body-muscles. Only by a one-touch button you can easily adjust the incline of the treadmill. This cross training treadmill is equipped with a 3.0CHCP motor-drive that operates very smoothly but quietly and it is even comparable to 3.5 HP motors of other brands. It provides a 20-by-60-inch tread belt which is integrated with FlexSelect cushioning to ensure a comfortable workout for user. 32 built-in workout programs in this machine allow you to work on speed, endurance and weight loss goals.
The frame of the C 990 is very sturdy to withstand user weighing up to 325 pounds. The 7″ backlit LED console on this model is easy to read at any angle to let you track speed, time, calories, distance and heart rate. Besides, there are also many other convenient as well as advanced features contributing to the success of this trainers.
5. Horizon Fitness Elite T9 Treadmill
Another model that I consider as the best cross- training model in this list is Horizon Fitness Elite T9 Treadmill. A long and wide 60″ x 20″ track requires no maintenance and is equipped with a variable response cushioning to provide user with comfortable strides. The track of this treadmill can be inclined up to 15%, helping you dramatically get impressive muscle definition and raise your metabolic rate as well as offer you with a more challenging workout.
A powerful but quiet 2.75 CHP motor can support speeds from 0.5 mph to 12 mph. in the terms of convenience, it features an effortless hydraulic folding-system that helps you move or store machine easily. The Elite T9 Treadmill comes with 44 Workout Programs that you can choose to target calorie burning, interval, distance, performance and step goals.
I really like its energy saving. With this feature, the console will move into energy saver mode in case you forget to turn the treadmill off after stop using it. This model of Horizon Fitness is also designed with many other advanced features that support user to have the effective workouts in the best way.
Also read: Best Cross Training Shoes For Women
Main features of a cross-training treadmill
- Cross-training treadmill features high incline-setting that can replicate the motions of elliptical-training and stair-climbing combined with supporting regular walking or running exercises. Depending on each brand, the maximum incline can be up to 40 percent. Some models also support decline too with grades of three or six percent.
- In fact, the trainers with high incline are often used for walking instead of running because they have lower top speeds than traditional treadmills. However, you can also find ones with higher speeds for more challenge.
- This model is even equipped with advanced electronic-functions for the best support and entertainment purposes during your workout.
Also read: Best treadmills for home use
Benefits of having a cross-training treadmill
Like a standard treadmill, a cross-training treadmill is also easy to use and offers health benefits no matter what your fitness level is. Specifically:
- The cross-training treadmills offer less impact cardiovascular workout which is very comfortable on trainee’s joints. In the other words, they put less stressful on the hips, knees and back than the normal treadmills could do.
- Cross-training treadmills, through ability to replicate the motions of stair-climbing and elliptical-training combined with supporting regular walking or running exercises combining with different incline settings help strengthen different muscle-groups.
- Through their especially generous incline settings, training on these machines you can burn more calories than training on normal ones.
- The variety helps you combat boredom during training while still delivering better fitness results than having cardio or strength training separately.
Disadvantages of using a cross-training treadmill
The cross-training treadmills are more comfortable than a treadmill however they don’t help you improve on bone-density as you can do with a treadmill.
I hope that with above list you can choose the best treadmill for you if you are considering purchasing one for your cross-training. In order to refer their price, please check on Amzon.com to have the best price (in my opinion). If you have any feedback, don’t hesitate to contact with me.